Key Player: DuPont

E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company (DuPont) has the highest number of granted US patents, currently 62, that claim rice sequences.

DuPont is a well known as a chemical company that was founded in 1802. Over the years, it has undergone restructuring such that its business now includes coatings, crop protection chemicals, genetically modified seeds, electronic materials, polymers, resins, and safety and security materials. With the full acquisition of Pioneer Hi-Bred International in 1999 (acquiring 20% in 1997, and the remaining 80% in 1999), the company has shown that it is focusing more and more on agricultural biotechnology.

In terms of their patent strategy, DuPont focuses mainly on individual genes coding for key enzymes involved in metabolic pathways.